Ceramic x Farcaster Frames

On Friday the Farcaster community launched Frames, a way to build apps inside of casts, which are basically their version of posts. In response, over the weekend their community swarmed and built tons of frames for different use cases. Notably, the Base ecosystem/Coinbase team hacked together these frames that store and interact with shared financial state on Base… which inspired me…

LET’S BUILD FRAMES THAT USE CERAMIC FOR STORING SHARED, NON-FINANCIAL DATA AND STATE BETWEEN DIFFERENT FRAMES!!! This could unlock low-cost, fast data composability for Frames.

Very basically, it could work like something like this:

Frame 1: Buttons [:green_apple:] [:lemon:]
Frame 2: Buttons [:banana:] [:pineapple:]

Both write users signed clicks to Ceramic w/ server-side did:key. Both read global fruit list from Ceramic.

:green_apple::banana::banana::lemon::green_apple::pineapple::banana::pineapple::lemon:

I’m willing to sponsor bounties for hacking together creative frames that make use of Ceramic. Reply below with your ideas and we can discuss! What do we think?!

4 Likes

cc @0xEE3CA4dd4CeB341691

Fully agree “The First Composable Frame” - it could be built as a fun game as well “Play in the Dataverse”

A Frame to get new VCs and reputation signals could make a lot of sense too! So much options!!

Let’s find cool builders! I’ll share your forum post to some teams!

1 Like

Let’s do it!

U3.xyz just shipped with Frame Support and U3 profile and U3 Bookmark is built with Ceramic. Wonder if we could do something with frame for that

Maybe something about points?

2 Likes

Can we build something that frame devs import into their frames which allows interactions with the frame to be written to Ceramic as points? Frames already have a server, which fits the model of writing these points with a server’s did:key and writing a relation to the user.

It’s a bit tricky to auth with Frame and Ceramic in the same context.

1. using did key means we are storing key for users. nice thing about this approach is compatible with warpcast
  2. alternatively we could also save cacao on server, before interacting with a frame. the issue for this is this would not work on warpcast

We kinda need account abstraction for Ceramic… as Frame is using ed25519 signature

1 Like

You don’t need users to auth though, right? In this model a server (app/frame) would have its own key and write all points. The points would just contain a relation to the user, not be written by them. This would be like a frame inside of frames.

argh… I see. So we only need a way to derive a verfiable mapping from farcaster account to the point? And users don’t have to “own” the key

Yeah something like that. Thoughts @jthor?

Isn’t farcaster accounts tied to an Ethereum address?