Protocol minimization

I think we are aligned on this. Right now Firehose API is focument specific feeds + more. What I’m suggesting is that anything that is not just a feed of signed events, e.g. computation over events, belongs in a layer above, e.g. middleware and/or indexes.

I don’t really see how doiong schema validation for a particular type of VC prevents DoS? An attacker could simply generate a lot of fake VCs that conform to the schema.

I think there is another valid area of research around suppring VCs as a type of event on Ceramic (see Simplify event creation)

I wonder if there’s a misunderstanding of what I suggested in the OP because I definitely agree with (1), (2), and (4). There should definitely be a way to get a feed of events from the Rust node! My main point is that:

a. json-schema validation & json-patch processing are application specific
b. conflict resolution is also application specific (we are not able to build CRDTs based on the current model)

By moving (a) and (b) to the application layer we can allow the protocol to move faster on delivering the core values of Ceramic, e.g.:

• Scalable p2p event replication
  • Blockchain timestamping
  • (eventually) on-chain access control
  • (eventually) incentivized event availability
1 Like