Proposal - MyMeta - Idenity aggregator for DAOists

Grant/Project Name: MyMeta

Proposer’s contact info: peth (@petheth on telegram & twitter, peth@metagame.wtf)

Grant Category: Apps, tooling & education

ELI5 Project Summary: An identity aggregator & decentralized profiles for DAO freelancers.

Project Description: We’ve built an identity solution on top of Ceramic to make it easier for DAOs to know their members & members to discover each other as well as other members across a bunch of different DAOs. Now we want to upgrade to the graph version & start plugging in more identity/reputation solutions

Relevant links:

Ceramic Ecosystem Value Proposition:

• What is the problem statement this proposal hopes to solve for the Ceramic ecosystem? How does your proposal offer a value proposition solving the above problem? Why will this solution be a source of growth for the Ceramic ecosystem?
  • We’ve been building on top of 3Box/IDX/Ceramic for almost 3 years now. We’ve been promoting it to everyone along the way & will continue to do so. We have a very popular marketing channel in our newsletter with over 10k subscribers.
  • We aim to come up with standardized, composable models for profile-related data for any apps building on top of Ceramic to be able to use
  • Over 1,600 web3 citizens have created MyMeta profiles (with 100% organic growth), making us one of the biggest profile-related projects utilizing Ceramic
  • Rather than just using Ceramic as a single “decentralized identity solution”, we want to use it to create universal schemas & plug in other major identity solutions such as Lens or ENS, making it into a decentralized identity aggregator~~.~~

Funding requested (DAI/USDC): $45,600

Milestones:

• Milestone #0: Building w/ 3Box, self.id and Ceramic for 3 years, enduring breaking changes that delayed our launches twice, then screwed up our launches twice more, spending over $100k in the process & never giving up. (Completed) - [$0]
  • Milestone #1: ComposeDB Upgrades (Feb 2023) - [$20,900]
    • Translate our existing profile-related data models into more granular models, coordinating with other profile-related projects along the way [20 hours @ $110 / hr]
    • Upgrade our existing Ceramic node (ceramic.metagame.wtf) to be ComposeDB compatible. Set up a database to allow indexing as specified in the docs [40 hours @ $110 / hr]
    • Build a data export / import tool for users to be able to port their existing profiles over to the new system. Test, troubleshoot and maintain the tool for ~6 months after launch. [50 hours @ $110 / hr]
    • Upgrade MyMeta to use the ComposeDB graphQL queries and mutations - [80 Hours @ $110 / hr]
  • Milestone #2: MyMeta Integrations (Feb 2023) - [$21,450]
    • Improved MyMeta performance through caching of Hasura external schemas - [15 Hours @ $110 / hr]
    • Build out more functionality for pulling in DAO memberships of existing MyMeta users, through data sources like DAOHaus. This will fill in some data gaps, data that we can eventually put on Ceramic for other apps to use as well - [60 Hours @ $110 / hr]
    • Add profile pictures into the creation flow & revamp the quick edit menu - [30 Hours @ $110 / hr]
    • Integrate ENS - [20 Hours @ $110 / hr]
    • Add MyMeta profile &/or MetaOS dashboard “custom block” integrations for two other projects utilizing Ceramic / ComposeDB to pull in users’ shared data - [70 Hours @ $110 / hr]
  • Milestone #3: Coordination with related ecosystem projects (Feb 2023) - [$3,250]
    • Resurrect the web3 profiles Telegram working group and coordinate with other reputation and identity protocols about integration with MyMeta [40 Hours @ $50 / hr]
    • Help platform projects & DAOs integrate Ceramic-based profiles into their platforms. A follow-up to Milestone 1 action item 1. [20 Hours @ $50 / hr]
    • Write a post about the integration & go on promoting Ceramic to every identity or reputation provider that could be plugged in as well as Web3 platforms that might benefit from integrating decentralized profiles for their users. - [5 Hours @ $50 / hr]

I accept the 3Box Labs Grants terms and conditions: Yes

I understand that I will be required to provide additional KYC information to the 3Box Labs to receive this grant: Yes

1 Like

Hi @peth, thank you for your proposal! We will be in touch with an update once we have completed our initial review (1-2 weeks).

1 Like

Congratulations @peth, I’m delighted to inform you that your grant proposal has been accepted! :tada:

We would like to award you a Ceramic Builders Grant.

We will follow up shortly with more details via email.

1 Like

Update: Week of Jan 23

We have made steady progress on all aspects of this proposal, with the most momentum around better scoping the various tasks for milestone #2. Grant-related tasks are being tracked in GitHub here.

Our repository is all open source so it is easy to track our progress :slight_smile: . We have a bit of a head start compared to other teams with an authentication workflow already in place from prior Ceramic work, it’s just a matter of connecting to the ComposeDB client rather than the previous Ceramic client.

We already have a Ceramic node up and running that our production instance is pointed to. Ideally we will have that node upgraded by the time we are ready to launch.

1 Like

Update: April 19

As mentioned in the previous update, we are tracking our grant tasks here. The bulk of the work in Milestone 1 is encapsulated in this PR which just needs some final testing before getting reviewed/merged. This PR is currently being deployed to https://beta.metagame.wtf, and that itself is pointing to a mainnet ComposeDB node.

The items in milestone #2 are about half done, there are 3 remaining and 4 completed.

It has been challenging finding other projects to share our data with, but we are working with Adam and the Ceramic team to build out some partnerships.

Great to hear the progress being made by the Metagame team @alec.

Tagging in more members of the adoption/product team who could potentially help unblock you on finding other projects to share data with cc @Justina @dazuck @avi

1 Like

We’re done! I will add links to the appropriate Github issues for each dev task. For each issue you can click on it to see a linked PR resolving it. All functionality is live at https://metagame.wtf

• Milestone #1: ComposeDB Upgrades (Feb 2023) - [$20,900]
  • Translate our existing profile-related data models into more granular models, coordinating with other profile-related projects along the way [20 hours @ $110 / hr]

This was a prerequisite for the main ComposeDB upgrade task

• Upgrade our existing Ceramic node (ceramic.metagame.wtf) to be ComposeDB compatible. Set up a database to allow indexing as specified in the docs [40 hours @ $110 / hr]
  • Build a data export / import tool for users to be able to port their existing profiles over to the new system. Test, troubleshoot and maintain the tool for ~6 months after launch. [50 hours @ $110 / hr]
  • Upgrade MyMeta to use the ComposeDB graphQL queries and mutations - [80 Hours @ $110 / hr]
  • Milestone #2: MyMeta Integrations (Feb 2023) - [$21,450]
  • Improved MyMeta performance through caching of Hasura external schemas - [15 Hours @ $110 / hr]
  • Build out more functionality for pulling in DAO memberships of existing MyMeta users, through data sources like DAOHaus. This will fill in some data gaps, data that we can eventually put on Ceramic for other apps to use as well - [60 Hours @ $110 / hr]

For this, we instead adding the ability for users to create their own “unverified” guilds:

• Add profile pictures into the creation flow & revamp the quick edit menu - [30 Hours @ $110 / hr]
  • Integrate ENS - [20 Hours @ $110 / hr]
  • Add MyMeta profile &/or MetaOS dashboard “custom block” integrations for two other projects utilizing Ceramic / ComposeDB to pull in users’ shared data - [70 Hours @ $110 / hr]
    [/quote]

For Milestone 3, we have a draft post that has been reviewed by kaihob @ 3Box labs and will go out in our Substack soon.

1 Like

Amazing, great work @alec + team. Excited for a big 2024 for Metagame.

Tagging in @Corrado @Justina @Radek from our side for visibility

2 Likes

Hello @0x_Sam I wanted to reach out for an update, do we have an ETA for a response?

Hello @sero ! I don’t believe we’ve spoken previously - my name is Mark and I’m a partner engineer on the 3Box team. Nice to meet you :slight_smile:

I’ll have time to look at this today and provide a response before the end of the day!

1 Like

Looking forward to it, and nice to meet you!

Hello! Great to see all this work that’s been done - it looks fantastic.

I made a comment regarding the ability to query and filter (which is now available) in one of the sub-issues. Everything else looks fairly straightforward from what I can tell.

I’m not sure where we sit on timing, but I happen to be OOO tomorrow through Monday. Happy to complete this review on Tuesday when I get back, or if @Justina or @Radek can finish the review from our side would also be fantastic.

1 Like

I just had a look through the rest of the PRs and it all looks great to me. Great job on this, team!

In addition to Mark’s comment around query filtering - is the leaderboard using the ComposeDB query filtering and sorting for displaying the results on the leaderboard?

1 Like

The leaderboard as of now does not use the ComposeDB query filtering, we intend to begin that integration in the near future. For clarification, is that part of the requirements for completing the grant milestones?

I’ll let @0x_Sam to confirm, but I believe query filtering isn’t part of the requirements to complete the milestone.

It just would be cool to use it as a feature going forward :slight_smile:

hi @alec x @sero, thanks again, confirming that all aspects of the final milestone have been completed :partying_face: :tada:

We will go ahead and release the final milestone payment shortly.

As @Justina mentioned, we would love to check out the integration of Query Filtering for the leaderboard when you get to that as think it could be a great reference implementation to flag to the broader Ceramic community. Please do keep us updated and look forward to seeing the next iterations!

1 Like