Uncaught ReferenceError: process is not defined

Hi guys,

Loving learning Ceramic and the posibilities here. This may be a ceramic related issue, or may be more specific to our setup or a combination of the two, but I’m wondering if someone can help.

We’re looking to run the login and storage flow via a chrome extension app. However when I run the suite of libraries to get it working I get the error ‘Uncaught ReferenceError: process is not defined’. This is from the ceramicnetwork_key-did-resolver_lib_index_js module.

It’s obviously not related directly to ceramic. We can’t access the process object generally. But I hesitate to think this is an inherent limitation in chrome extensions.

If anyone has any tips at all, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Hi @Luke!

Can you please post a snippet of your code? What version of key-did-resolver are you using?

Hey Moshin,

Thanks very much for your help. I’ve found the issue. It’s an issue and requirement surrounding my need to implement the solution in a chrome extension.

Do you know if there is any intention / possibility of using any of the ceramic layers within a chrome extension?

The issue is that browsers can’t run node, and so browesify is needed to run CommonJS imports, which conflict with ceramics module imports.

Thanks for your help

Thanks for your reply, @Luke.

I don’t think you need to run Node in the browser. You should be able to run the SIWE (Sign-in with Ethereum) flow from the browser, have the user’s did:pkh authorize your extension’s DID session key via CACAO, then use the Ceramic HTTP client to make signed updates to Ceramic streams via some Ceramic daemon (running locally, in the cloud, or one of our test nodes).

If I am trying to build a chrome extension with composedb, is this the flow that I should follow?